[mythtv-users] LxMSuite.com to provide services to the Myth community

Geoff Scott geoff.scott.mail at gmail.com
Thu May 5 22:31:32 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Donavan Stanley <geckofiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rather than simply take Myth and run with it they
> decided to "do the right thing" and embrace the Myth community and
> it's developers and work with us to move things forward.

<puts on fire proof speedo>

Um, I don't see the part where they are "helping" to move things
forward.  If the bounty system encourages devs to work on projects
which are then free for everyone, then yes, I see that.  But if I need
to subscribe to get the latest and greatest feature, then how is this
different than LxM buying the devs?

> They instead approached Isaac, myself and some others about
> doing things right.

I'm glad you put this in your email.  Over the last year or so I've
come to give a lot of weight to the things Isaac says/does.  He seems
to be a good bullsh!t killer.  Thus, I would think, if he's involved,
there must be some good to the greater community... hopefully.  Not
that he is required to look out for the community per se.

> * A recommendation engine for Myth.

Did they build this or is this related to the recommendation plugin
that was devloped previously (and IIRC is being used by quite a few
people).

To be honest, $5.00 really doesn't sound like a lot to me... but I
can't help but wonder what kind of machine this will set in motion.
To quote the website, "LxMSuite puts you in the drivers seat: 100% of
the profits from the our pilot project will fund open source
development."... what happens after the pilot program?  You can't be
giving 100% of your profits away forever... can you?

I couldn't help but notice this line from the web site FAQ:  "LxMSuite
is a non-free subscription service..." Now that just sounds silly.
Call it what it is, a "fee based" service.  What kind of double speak
is "non-free based...".  Eee gads.

gs