[mythtv-users] PVR Hardware

Bruce McKenzie bruce at doublepup.com
Thu May 5 22:18:40 UTC 2005

At 01:35 PM 5/5/2005, you wrote:
>2) What's the best compromise for mythfronend systems.  I've read a lot of
>mixed reviews on using xboxes/ps2s.  I'm wanting something really cheap
>(around $200/box), and extremely quiet.  I'd like fanless, and may skip
>the hard drive and go with flash memory.

FWIW, my frontend is a HP Vectra VLi8 (P3 500) with 256M and a Mad Dog
MX4000 card (S-Video out). This is a desktop box, and is pretty darned quiet.

So my two points are:

1) P3 500 is enough for SDTV.
2) The Vectra is not bad. It's the size of a component, and has a
reasonably clean front. It's a heavy enough case that it sinks the sound of
the HD and fan.

Plus:

1) I have and like the Lite-on SK7551 wireless (IR) keyboard. I get 10-12
feet range (haven't tried more) and it's rock-stable. I chose it because
it's cheap ($24.50 at keyboardusa.com) and has an integrated mouse pointer.
2) Look for "HP Vectra VL*" at ebay. Under $100...and you'll add a video
card for $40.

Caveats:

1) I'm not a quality junkie. This is displaying on my 35" tube, and it's
more than good enough for me. (My daughter thinks Blue and JoJo look just fine)
2) I have two warts on the Vectra: the keyboard receiver, and a homebrew
serial IR receiver. Small, but they keep the box from being all-inclusive.
(Hmmm. maybe I could drill out the face plate and....)
3) This old a box has only a slow CD-ROM...and since a custom package, I
don't think that I can upgrade it.

Cheers,

Bruce

---