[mythtv-users] DVD recording sync issues with PVR 350

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu May 5 16:00:42 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/5/05, Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:
> > > I am writing some of my MythTV recordings to DVD and I
> > > get a-v sync drifts during the DVD recording, up to a
> > > second or two near the end of a two-hour recording
> > > (playing within myth is fine, though).  I've noticed
> > > that many people have this problem, but all the
> > > solutions I've tried that people suggested haven't
> > > worked for me.  For reference, I'm using a PVR-350,
> > > Myth 0.18, ivtv-0.2.0-rc3e, on a headless system
> > > running on a Celeron 566 with SuSE Linux 9.2.
> > >
> >         Most likely due to changing A/V sync within the MPEG2 stream.
> > It's a known problem without a known (bug-free) solution.
>
> Cory,
>
> Is this just a known issue for hardware-MPEG2-card recorded streams,
> or all MPEG2 streams in general? I regularly record DVB and PVR-350
> streams here in the UK, demux them, edit them, and then burn to DVD
> with no issues at all (using Project X (Java) to demux and fix,
> Cuttermaran to edit [uses mplex], and then DVD Hive [uses dvdauthor,
> mplex, and mkisofs] to create ISO images). I sometimes also reencode
> edited MPEG2 streams that have been through the demux/remux process
> into XVID/DIV5 with no A/V sync problems.
>
> Does this problem affect all popular linux-based tools mentioned in
> this thread? I use the above tools on my Win2K box because they are
> all GUI-driven and, having not tried other tools and because they
> worked, have not looked at others. It'd sure be good to be able to do
> it all driven from a GUI on my myth box from the sofa!
>
> Nick

Replying to everyone after my post above, could it be that it is the
demuxing process that is causing the problem? I only venture this as
the remuxing and DVD software (which also does a demux/remux) I use
use open source tools for these tasks.

The use of ProjectX therefore may seem to be the magic, at least for
me (it fixes streams on the fly if it finds any errors and adjusts the
audio to compensate) as it supports both DVB MPEG2 and the MPEG2 files
my 350 generates using the DVD Special 2 template.

Just a thought.

Nick