[mythtv-users] Remote control weirdness - Avermedia DVB-T 771

stan at stanandliz.net stan at stanandliz.net
Thu May 5 11:55:01 UTC 2005

Hi All

Sorry for the very long post, but this problem requires a lot of
explanation!

I have just completed my first MythTV install - mythtv 0.18 on Gentoo. The
hardware I am using is an Epia ME6000 motherboard with 512mb RAM and an
Avermedia DVB-T 771 card. All Epia and unichrome patches are applied to
kernel 2.6.11 and xorg 6.2. Mplayer is compiled with Unichrome support, as
is Xine.

MythTV itself runs very nicely and I am extremely pleased with the
performance. But for a few "prebuffering pause" issues when I browse the
program listings in Live TV, MythTV runs perfectly.

I am using Xine for DVD playback and Mplayer for videos. All programs,
MythTV, Xine and Mplayer are controllable via lirc.

I have set up lirc to run via /dev/input (ie, I installed lirc with:
LIRC_OPTS="--with-driver=devinput" emerge lirc) and am running the evdev
module. The remote device is /dev/input/event0 when it is the only input
device - which is how I want things.

Mythtv is compiled with lirc support, so I do not have to run irxevent. I
am configuring the remote with the file ~/.mythtv/lircrc.

The one very minor but annoying gripe I have is with some bizarre behavior
with the Avermedia remote control that I am at a loss to explain or
change.

This is the situation:

When I run Mythfrontend, the number pad on the Avermedia 771 remote ALWAYS
behaves the same way no matter how I configure the ~/.mythtv/lircrc file!

This is a description of the remote behavior on the Mythfrontend screen:

When I press 2 on the number pad, the cursor moves DOWN.
When I press 8 on the number pad, the cursor moves UP.
When I press 4 on the number pad, the cursor moves LEFT.
When I press 6 on the number pad, the cursor moves UP.

This behavior is ALMOST desirable, but for the DOWN and UP behavior, which
is the wrong way around. I am trying to change this behavior to a more
intuitive config - ie 2 move UP and 8 moves DOWN.

PLEASE NOTE: NONE of this is configured in ~/mythtv/lircrc!

The relevant part of my lircrc is below. (I have also attached the full
lircrc file and also my .lircrc file.)

---------------------------------

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = chan_up
    config = Up
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = chan_down
    config = Down
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 1
    config = 1
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 2
    config = 2
end
begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 3
    config = 3
end
begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 4
    config = 4
end
begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 5
    config = 5
end

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 6
    config = 6
end
begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 7
    config = 7
end
begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = 8
    config = 8
end

etc.....

This raises the following questions:

1. How is this behavior occuring when I do not have it configured in
lircrc? There are no other entries in ~/.lircrc that could possibly be
conflicting.

2. Where can I look to alter this? Changing ~/.mythtv/lircrc does nothing
at all to change this behavior.

My conclusion is this:

MythTV must be internally re-interpretting my lirc commands in some way. I
cannot think of any other explanation. When I run irw and press the key,
the output is exactly as I set up in /etc/lircd.conf so as far as I am
concerned, lirc is running properly. This weirdness does not occur with
Mplayer or Xine which I am configuring via ~/.lircrc.

I have looked through the mythtv 0.18 source code but can not find any
explanation for this.

Can any one enlighten me on this? It really is the very last thing I want
to set up before I can formally declare MythTV as running PERFECTLY.

many thanks in advance

Stephen