[mythtv-users] Recoding in native TS format and Setup with ATSC as DVB card

Andrew Chung acchung at techie.com
Thu May 5 07:32:45 UTC 2005

Hi everyone.  I just started exploring MythTV so please bear with me if I
ask a question that has already been answered.  I've tried Googling and
reading as much as I can but my eyes are starting to bleed!

Is it possible to have MythTV record to a raw .TS file instead of its native
.nuv format?  What is the difference between these two file formats?  My
goal is to archive shows on a permanent basis and I would prefer to get
either a raw .TS or a pure MPEG-2 from the transport stream.
Also I'm checking the option on the video input to save as .ts instead of
.ps.  What does this actually do?

My second question is a setup question.  I've been struggling with getting
the Linux system stable and to get my 2 pcHDTV HD-3000 cards working.  Took
me a while but those seem to be working fine.  When it came to installing
MythTV the online docs were pretty good, except for the part where you add
channels.

Initially I signed up for Zap2It and performed a mythfilldatabase as the
manual instructed.  However I was never able to get any channels to tune.  A
few days later I figured out that I can do an ATSC tune and I was able to
see all my local OTA channels.  At this point however, I had a disconnect
between the guide information and some tunable channels.  The guide couldn't
tune, and the tuneable channels had no guide!  Tonight I tried taking the
XMLTVIDs from the Zap2It guide.  I purged the database and started with a
clean one.  I then scanned my OTA channels.  After scanning I manually set
the XMLTVID values for each of my channels.  Is this the way it works or am
I missing something fundamental here?

Been having fun trying to get this working!

Andy