[mythtv-users] Media MVP in the UK

Barry Jett bjett80 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:35:05 UTC 2005

On 5/3/05, dave at theansells.com <dave at theansells.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am interested in using a Hauppage Media MVP as a frontend for
> viewing streams from DVB-T based myth backend.   A couple of
> questions:
>
>   (1)  Can anyone confirm it is possible to view DVB-T streams recorded
> as TS?   (I understand they are mpeg2 but have a .nuv extension.)
>
>   (2)   I have seen on this list there are two types of MVP available and
> the one "with the yellow dot" is the correct one to get.  However the
> UK Hauppage site doesn't show this model, neither do most of the UK
> vendors.  Can anyone explain the exact model needed in the UK?
> (Hauppage do seem to have a habit of changing what is inside the box
> and calling it the same name, eg Nova-T!)
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I have two backends, a PVR-250 recording mpeg-ps files and a firewire box
recording mpeg-ts. My Hauppage MVP works very well on the mpeg-ps files
but will not play mpeg-ts files.

I've been playing with, and appear to be successful, using mencoder to create
mpeg-ps files from the ts files that will play on the MVP. In fact, I
just converted
and watched about two hours of "Hot Rocks" on the science channel, a quite
excellent series from your side of the pond.

Conversion of the ts files to ps files using the "copy" codec is quite
fast....about
700 fps on a 2.8G intel, but a little more susceptable to noise. Using the
mpeg2video codec, conversion is about 70 fps.  In either case, the sound must be
encoded from it's ac3 format to mpeg 1 layer 2 for the MVP to play.

Hope this helps,

Barry