[mythtv-users] mythbackend won't idle until mythfrontend disconnects

James Stembridge jstembridge at gmail.com
Wed May 4 08:27:48 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, Max Barry <mythtv at maxbarry.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that simply prevents mythbackend from going idle
> BEFORE a frontend has connected... and does nothing once it has. (And,
> as mentioned, it's already unchecked on my system.)

Indeed.

As I understand it you have to do a little more work outside of myth
to make auto startup/shutdown work. I can post up my scripts if you
like but it goes something like this:

If you specify a startup script in mythtv-setup then that will receive
"auto" or "user" on the command line depending on whether the backend
is about to start a recording. Note you only get "auto" if the "block
shutdown before client connect" is enabled.

In the startup script I create or delete a file in the mythtv user's
home directory. The .xsession script checks for the existence of this
file and starts up the frontend if it's a "user" start.

I have the power button on my remote hooked up in lirc to start the
frontend if there's none running. That way if the box has booted
automatically for a recording (and hence hasn't started mythfrontend)
I can still use it.

After manually booting the box I can just exit mythfrontend to have it
shutdown automatically.

James.