[mythtv-users] mythbackend won't idle until mythfrontend disconnects

Max Barry mythtv at maxbarry.com
Wed May 4 05:54:56 UTC 2005

Nick wrote:
> On 5/4/05, Max Barry <mythtv at maxbarry.com> wrote:
>
>>It was all working so nicely until 0.18. My combined backend/frontend
>>box would wake itself up, record something, then go back to sleep.
>>
>>Now, however, it refuses to idle if mythfrontend is running. Which is a
>>problem, because I have mythfrontend start automatically on boot.
>>Previously, this didn't stop mythbackend from declaring itself idle.
>>Now, for some reason, it does.
>>
>>Is this a deliberate change in 0.18? Is there a way to stop mythfrontend
>>from blocking mythbackend's idling?
>

> Max,
>
> I''m still running 0.16, and my backend will never idle unless there
> are no frontend connections to it.

Hmm, that's interesting. Under 0.17 my backend had no problem going idle
while mythfrontend was still running... at least when it had woken
itself up.

I have changed the way the machine shuts down and starts up again
recently... could that be the problem?

> I use nvram-wakeup but start the
> frontend via the remote when I need it. That way, if automated
> recording occur during the day or night when we're not around, it just
> turns itself off again.

I have read that a few people do that, but I'd like to avoid adding
another button press to the process of watching TV if possible. I
already have: turn on PC, turn on TV, fix aspect ratio (DAMN YOU LOEWE),
turn on amplifier, turn on sub woofer.

> However, just checking the mythconverg database (v0.16) - in the
> SETTINGS table there is a variable 'blockSDWUwithoutClient' which may
> allow this behaviour to be overridden. (Mine is set to 1 and the
> machine won't idle if a frontend is connected)

I have that ("Block shutdown before client connected" in
mythtv-settings) disabled already.

Brad Benson wrote:
>   You need to run mythtv-setup.  Answer 'no' to both of the questions
> it asks you on startup and then go into the General section (#1).  On
> the 4th (I think) page in this section there is a checkbox labeled
> 'Block shutdown while client connected' (or something like that).
> Make sure that checkbox is NOT checked.  If it is checked then
> mythbackend will never shut itself down as long as any frontends are
> connected.  Simply unchecking that box, exiting mythtv-setup and then
> restarting the backend should fix your problem.

My understanding is that simply prevents mythbackend from going idle
BEFORE a frontend has connected... and does nothing once it has. (And,
as mentioned, it's already unchecked on my system.)

I'm sure I once saw a setting like "Disconnect unless capture card in
use"... but now I can't find it again for the life of me. I'm not sure
if that's what I need, but it seems close.

Thanks for the responses!