[mythtv-users] WAS: Help running FX5200 + DVI to 1280x720 projector NOW: 380XGL +DVI to 1280x768

mrwester mrwester at gmail.com
Tue May 3 19:36:42 UTC 2005

I'm going to hijack this thread, it seems to have died

> Scott Alfter 	<mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org> to Discussion:
> It is; you just need to use one of the modeline calculators that are available.
>   I use an FX5200 to drive an LCD at 1280x768.  I had another LCD before that
> for a few days that allegedly was 1280x720, but I took it back because there
> was no  apparent way to coax it into actually running at its native resolution.
>   I still have the modeline for it; you might try it as a starting point:

I'm wondering if your LCD is a Syntax Olevia?  I've got one that is
1280x768, but the manual doesn't give any hints to what would be
appropriate modeline.  I've not found one elsewhere.  Can you share
with me your xorg.conf?  or just the modeline?  I've got a XP1700+
machine, pvr-500 with nvidia quadro 380xgl.  Running myth 0.18 to lcd
via DVI at 800x600 or 1024x768, the playback isn't quite what my
pvr-350 can do.  CNN ticker movement isn't smooth and a text a little
jagged...

or maybe I need a newer card that can help with mpeg2 decoding?  not
100% sure if the quadro 380xgl does that, I used to use it for quad
buffered stereo with shutter glasses...  Seems that it should be more
than enough to play the 720x480 from my pvr-xxx's...  Other places to
look to optimize mythtv setup with nvidia card for SDTV?  I googled
all morning, found a few threads, one 70 posts long that got
sidetracked early and not much really definitive, so I'm open to
pointers to a guide.

Would like to try to get DVI to work as should be superior to
pvr-350... and doesn't give me overscan loss of edge of desktop when
not viewing mythtv.  is the consensus that the 380xgl should work, or
should I just try a FX5200, which seems overkill for SDTV?  Thanks,

Mike