[mythtv-users] [OT] Help setting up Sky Navigator remote to replace keyboard/mouse under X

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 2 15:33:28 UTC 2005

I've purchased a (UK) Sky Navigator remote control which, apart from
being a decent quality remote control, contains a very convenient
QWERTY keyboard inside it. I have managed to find a couple of sites
that mention using it under X as a keyboard/mouse device but no
detailed information.

I currently use a Hauppauge remote and have PS2 keyboard and mouse
plugged in to my MythTV PC, but I want to get rid of these and replace
with the Navigator remote using a serial port IR receiver.

My current LIRC setup uses customised sections in the lircrc file for
each application I use the remote with, but looking at 2 lircrc files
I have found for the Navigator remote:

1 file uses separate configs for each application, such as
myth,xine,mplayer (as I currently do) e.g.

begin
   prog = mythtv
   button = up
   repeat = 4
   config = Up
end

1 file exclusively uses irxevent blocks for each key, and CurrentWindow. e.g.

begin
   prog = irxevent
   remote = skyplus
   button = up
   repeat = 0
   config = Key Up CurrentWindow
end

- hence my confusion - some questions:

Do I need to use irxevent for everything if I use this as an X keyboard device?
What driver would I specify in my xorg.conf file?
How does LIRC interface with X when using a remote as a keyboard device?

I have a lircd.conf setup file for the Navigator remote, and a sample
lircrc file, but I want to know what I need to do (config/drivers etc)
to be able to use the remote as a keyboard too (i.e. typing on the
console and in apps, using the cursor keys to control the X mouse icon
etc).

I'll be fairly happy just to be able to use the remote within MythTV,
Xine, mplayer etc as before, but as the remote has the keyboard I was
really hoping to be able to use all of its functionality.

If any kind users could provide me with some *much needed* info, I'd
be most appreciative.

Cheers,
Nick