[mythtv-users] Re: Dead Myth Box and "WriteAudio: buffer underrun"

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:36:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:43:09 -0500, Michael Haan <michael.haan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I'm not sure if they're directly related, but I'm having issues
> with Myth freezing my entire FE/BE box.  It has frozen (but will not
> always) when:
> -I FF, RW, Pause or Play
> -Auto-skipping a commercial
> -Finishing-up playback of a recorded show
>
> These will often work, but way too often (read: more than once a
> month) not.  I finally started piping output of mythFE and BE to a log
> and got the following right before a system freeze:
>
> 2005-03-30 23:27:28.844 Video timing method: SGI OpenGL
> 2005-03-31 00:25:26.258 prebuffering pause
> 2005-03-31 00:25:26.293 WriteAudio: buffer underrun
>
> The specs:
> 3800+ AMD 64
> 1G RAM
> nForce 250 board
> 3 x 250G SATA drives
> Turtle Beach sound card using spdif
> Myth 0.17, no XvMC
>
> Any ideas how to fix?

Ok, I've gotten more of those messages when the box didn't freeze so
i'm thinking they're not related.  Any chance this could be happening
when the box gets too hot?  It only seems to happen when we're watch a
recording or live tv.  Often this means the box is recording a new
show, commercial flagging one that has just completed and also playing
back whatever we're watching.  The CPU does run a little hot (55c),
but still significantly lower than the max (70c).