[mythtv-users] Tivo as backend

Griffon -- bushibot at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 08:45:39 UTC 2005

MythTIvo is cool but with a  D*TV unit you have to hack the box, this
is not so big with cheap $99 Tivo but I'm scared to try that with my
really expensive HD one. Plus if I mug all our shows my wife will kill
me... but that is a separate issue.

I might go for it anyway though if MythTivo actually integrated with
the watch recording module but it sits off as more it's own
thing...basicaly making it a streaming toaster, not a bad thing but
not really lending it's self to a high WAF setup since programing and
finding things become disjointed. Also I don't think you can tune to
live streams but I could be wrong about that (only got to mess around
with it a bit at friends on a series one Tivo).

Definitely a project I have high hopes for though :).

There is a good looking tutorial on hacking the Tivo (and the HD one) at
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/printthread.php?t=37015

I'd be interested if anyone has done this on the HD D*TV unit. I know
a few folks who where thinking about decided to wait to see if the
fantasy patch ever appears from D*TV.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:49:49 -0500, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
> Rob Walker wrote:
>
> >Has anyone figured out how to point their front end to a Tivo box?
> >
> >I was thinking that we could get a lot of the listings via the web interface,
> >and then use the mplayer which can play the tmf files.
> >

> Have you tried MythTiVo?
>
> http://tivo-mplayer.sourceforge.net/mythtivo.html
>
> --
> David
>
> HDTV capable frontend I am working on (now with a picture)
>  http://mythhd.info

-Griffon