[mythtv-users] DCT-6200 w/ FireWire -- Looking for Input..

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Mar 27 06:34:00 UTC 2005

On Saturday 26 March 2005 16:47, Jeff Wormsley wrote:
> Big Wave Dave wrote:
> >-I am looking for "gotchas" or tips.
>
> You'll need to compile mythtv from source, and edit the settings.pro to
> enable firewire.

Not necessarily true. Axel and I added FireWire support to the ATrpms Myth
builds a while ago.

> You'll also have to compile the 6200ch file to change
> channels.

This is correct though.

> You need to install all the firewire drivers, probably from source, and
> make sure they load on boot and create the right /dev/ entries.  Check
> the archives for info on that.  It can be a pain.

ATrpms has also packaged up all the requisite FireWire bits, including
libavc1394, libraw1394 and libiec61883, so there's nothing that needs
compiling if using ATrpms.

> When I did it, the
> latest versions of two of the modules needed were incompatible with each
> other, and I had to apply a patch.  It's been a month or so, so that may
> be fixed, and I certainly don't remember which files.

There was a change in the libiec61883 code that prompted the necessity of a
patch to Myth for FireWire support to work correctly. Its already included in
the ATrpms builds.

> I did put this in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local (FC3)
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
> # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
> # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
>
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off
> /sbin/service LCDd start
> /sbin/modprobe ieee1394
> /sbin/modprobe ohci1394
> /sbin/modprobe dv1394
> mknod -m 666 /dev/raw1394 c 171 0

You're going about this incorrectly. Everything works perfectly on my box
without a thing in rc.local. For the device node, this...

mknod /etc/udev/devices/raw1394 c 171 0

...will take care of recreating the device node on restarts.

To get the right modules loaded, I just have only these two lines in
modprobe.conf:

alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
install ohci1394 /sbin/modprobe raw1394; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
ohci1394

And that's it.

> The last four lines are the important ones, and I don't think the dv1394
> is really needed.

Its not.

> Somehow that should be taken care of by modprobe.conf
> but I never figured it out.  Someone else may be able to fill us both in.

See above. :-)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com