[mythtv-users] DCT-6200 w/ FireWire -- Looking for Input..

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Sun Mar 27 00:47:14 UTC 2005

Big Wave Dave wrote:

>-I am looking for "gotchas" or tips.

You'll need to compile mythtv from source, and edit the settings.pro to
enable firewire.  You'll also have to compile the 6200ch file to change
channels.

You need to install all the firewire drivers, probably from source, and
make sure they load on boot and create the right /dev/ entries.  Check
the archives for info on that.  It can be a pain.  When I did it, the
latest versions of two of the modules needed were incompatible with each
other, and I had to apply a patch.  It's been a month or so, so that may
be fixed, and I certainly don't remember which files.

I did put this in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local (FC3)

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset -dpms
/usr/X11R6/bin/xset s off
/sbin/service LCDd start
/sbin/modprobe ieee1394
/sbin/modprobe ohci1394
/sbin/modprobe dv1394
mknod -m 666 /dev/raw1394 c 171 0

The last four lines are the important ones, and I don't think the dv1394
is really needed.  Somehow that should be taken care of by modprobe.conf
but I never figured it out.  Someone else may be able to fill us both in.

>-I have seen that 2Ghz is recommended for an HD setup.  Is this enough
>for a frontend/backend combo... when capturing via firewire?

My 2.4Ghz almost keeps up, but I'll lose audio or freeze if I use
FF/RW/Pause too much.  I'm planning to go to a 3.0Ghz + board soon, but
am living with it at the moment.  Your mileage may vary.

Supposedly, xvMC would help, but for some reason I can't get it to work
on my MX5200.  It crashes constantly.  Again, you might be able to use
it with a slower CPU.

When it does work (on a slower system), it looks great.  Can't wait to
see what it looks like when I get my new board.

Jeff.