[mythtv-users] MythTV w/Digital Cox Service ?

Richard Sears sr22flyboy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 03:05:06 UTC 2005

Hey Everyone -

So I broke down and ordered cable from my local cable company (Cox)
here in S. CA.

Much to my surprise did I learn that they no longer allow (or
support/send/whatever) any of the subscription channels (HBO,
Showtime, etc) over their analog cable system.

In order to get this (and HDTV) service, I have to subscribe to their
digital cable service, which of course comes with their own box which
you have to use to watch it.

Well, for $1 for 6 months of service I added the premium channels and
HDTV to my the analog service I ordered.

According to the service rep, I will have both the digital service
(for channels over 99) and the digital service.

So here I am in the middle of my 1.2TB,  Dual Athlon MythTV monster
server build thinking its going to be a bummer to have to get just
regular cable and nothing else on my mythtv system.

I can add an off-the-air HDTV antenna as I have ordered the PCHDTV
card and a PVR-350 (all of the 250's were out of  stock) but I would
reall like everything.

I figured if anyone had figured this out, someone here has done it.

So, my question - Is there some way to hook up the Cox digital box to
the MythTV backend so that I can use the Myth system to control the
digital box and output it to Myth so it can be recorded, played,
etc..? Or am I stuck with simple analog cable with my myth system..?

Is there a 'digital cable' tuner card made by anyone, or is it
specific to each cable company..? I know my TV has an input for
digital cable rf, but not sure who it works with (if anyone). It also
has an input for an HDTV card from the cable company.

Anyway - if anyone has some ideas, I am all ears !!

Thanks !!
Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Internet Services
rsears at adnc.com
sr22flyboy at gmail.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax
INOC-DBA - 6130

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."