[mythtv-users] pvr150 or pvr500

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Mar 25 07:52:52 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 19:22, Jason Mollman wrote:
> At 04:56 PM 03/24/2005, you wrote:
> >Uh, what? No card has a tuner that changes the channels on a cable box.
> >That's
> >done via firewire, serial or something like an IRBlaster. The on-board
> > tuners can only change their own channels, and that's the same for every
> > card... Both tuners can be used simultaneously if you're piping them a
> > signal straight from your cable provider or OTA, with no intermediate
> > device (like a cable box, sat box, etc). If you're using a cable box, you
> > should be feeding a capture card via svideo or composite video, then
> > using an external channel changing program (and cable).
>
> Uh, I guess you didn't understand my original post. I'll try to be alittle
> more clear.

More clear now, but I think maybe you're confusing "tuner" on the PVR-500 with
"encoder".

> If one is to use an external channel changing script to control an external
> cable box with a pvr-500

You don't control the cable box with a PVR-500. You control it with a serial
cable, firewire cable or IRBlaster. The 500 merely takes whatever audio and
video your cable box outputs and encodes it.

> I'm guessing you either need two cable boxes, or
> you can only use one tuner on the pvr-500.

Your cable box can only output one distinct a/v stream at a time, so you can
only feed one of the encoders on the PVR-500 with one cable box. Yes, you
would need two cable boxes to make use of both encoders, unless you simply
went with a split setup, feeding the cable box to the s-video input on the
card and a second coax run hitting the PVR-500's tuner input instead of
another cable box. I don't even bother with a cable box for most of my
recording, all the stuff I care to record is on channels I can tune the card
to directly.

What you can't do even with two cable boxes is hook them both to the single
tuner input on the PVR-500.

> Otherwise each tuner will
> contend for use of the channel changer script and the cable box.
> Would this be a correct statement?

Something like that.

--
Jarod Wilson