[mythtv-users] SAA7134 controlling card problem

Craig Thomas craigdt-mh at charter.net
Fri Mar 25 06:02:19 UTC 2005

> From: Julius <julius at msa.co.nz>
> Date: 2005/03/25 Fri AM 12:39:14 EST
> To: Craig Thomas <craigdt-mh at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] SAA7134 controlling card problem
>
> I'm using FC3 so the kernel comes with the saa7134 module precompiled. I
> just issued the following command:
>
> #modprobe saa7134
> #
>
> If there are no errors it should load and you can start up xawtv or
> tvtime (which is part of the standard install).
>

> Craig Thomas wrote:
>
> >Julius:
> >
> >Can you give me instructions on how you got your saa1734 card even working in xawtv, please?  I am still trying to get mine working there.  If you have any modifications you made, commands issued, it would greatly help me.  Then maybe I'll be able to help you out once I get to that point.
> >

> >Thanks,
> >
> >Craig Thomas
> >

> >>From: "Julius Spencer" <spencer_julius at hotmail.com>
> >>Date: 2005/03/24 Thu AM 07:40:26 EST
> >>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> >>Subject: [mythtv-users] SAA7134 controlling card problem
> >>
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I am having trouble getting MythTV to control my card. I have a Phillips
> >>SAA7134 chipset and xawtv and tvtime work fine. The saa7134 module seems to
> >>load without any problems.
> >>
> >>I have setup MythTV so that it has the listings populated, it plays DVDs CDs
> >>etc with sound and picture. If I leave the tuner tuned to a channel (in
> >>tvtime) I can see it when I watch TV live through MythTV, but there is no
> >>sound and I can't change channel. It looks at the /dev/video0 output but
> >>doesn't seem to interact with the tv card.
> >>
> >>I feel like I'm pretty close to having it sorted. I'm wondering if it needs
> >>some info which I haven't included maybe in the SQL part. To add the
> >>channels I had to do them via an XML file I got from the web and using the
> >>following command:
> >>mythfilldatabase --file /dev/video0 7 .mythtv/Television.xmltv
> >>I figured the frequency data would be filled in when I chose the country,
> >>but maybe not... I feel though that there is some kind of lack of control
> >>between the application and the card as a device.
> >>
> >>Any ideas?

Can anybody help me with this.

I have even done a clean install of RH FC3 to make sure I had not screwed something up.  I have no /dev/video0.

I did the following:

#apt-get install saa7134-kmdl-$KVER (using Jarod's variable)
#apt-get install saa7134

I rebooted and when it came up I tried:
#modprobe saa7134

That did not work, so I then tried, as suggested earlier:
#rmmod saa7134
modprobe tuner
modprobe tda9887 qss=0
modprobe saa7134 video_nr=0

I still have no /dev/video0, so xawtv or tvtime will not work.  Please help.  I have googled this, and I have not had any luck getting a working solution.

Thanks,

Craig