[mythtv-users] Problems adding second capture card to mythtv

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 03:42:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:07:07 -0500, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 21:43, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 20:10, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > > For the past couple of weeks I have been having great success running a
> > > mythtv system with a single PVR-350 card.
> > >
> > > Today I tried to add a second capture card, a PVR-250MCE, and have run
> > > into some problems.
> > >

> > To add a little more information to the problem I seem to have created
> > for myself I used to get the audio out from the PVR350 card.  Currently
> > audio out is coming from the mother boards on board sound system.
> >
> > Going back through the guide I can't seem to find any reference to
> > getting audio working through the PVR-350's outputs.  I would have
> > thought that if the 350's decoder was being used that the audio would be
> > going out the 350's connections instead of the on board sound chips.
> >
> > Does the order of the cards in the system make a difference?  The new
> > PVR-250 seems to be video0 now and the PVR-350 is video1.
> >
> > BTW: x windows is going out the PVR-350 outputs just fine.
> >
> > Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.  I really do
> > want to get the second encoder card working.
>
> OK, so I think I figured out part of the problem.  In the mythfrontend
> setup screens under hardware decoding settings I had checked several
> times to make sure I had the PVR-350 decoder marked.   However, since
> adding the new card the PVR-350 comes up as video1 not video0 as it did
> before.  I still have video16 set for the encoder output.  I realized
> this after finding a multi megabyte file under /dev named video16.
>
> Guessing that this output was increased by one I changed that value to
> video17 and now I have smoother video output and sound going out the
> PVR-350 card once again.
>
> But now I am still getting this error when trying to record two shows at
> the same time:
>
> error reading from: /dev/video0
> read: Device or resource busy
>
> I found one thread where the the same minor numbers were set on the
> device files but that is not the case with my system.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root      6 Mar 24 14:30 /dev/video -> video0
> crw-------  1 mythtv root 81,  0 Mar 24 14:30 /dev/video0
> crw-------  1 mythtv root 81,  1 Mar 24 14:30 /dev/video1
> crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 17 Mar 24 14:30 /dev/video17
> crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 24 Mar 24 14:30 /dev/video24
> crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 25 Mar 24 14:30 /dev/video25
> crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 32 Mar 24 14:30 /dev/video32
> crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 33 Mar 24 14:30 /dev/video33
> crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 49 Mar 24 14:30 /dev/video49

Seems normal (the minor should be the same as the video device number)

> Is there something in the database that needs to be changed to get the
> second card working?

As long as there are inputs defined for the card and they are attached
to the input(s) this should be OK. (Check this thread for more details
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/54074) However, if
you can afford to remove the capture card settings altogether and the
redefine both cards it may help  if there is a DB problem.

Are you able to cat both /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 into an mpg or
directly into mplayer from the command line as per Jarod's guide? If
not, the problems are at a lower level than a problem with myth and
need to be sorted before myth can be fixed. (These could be udev or
modules.conf related to the ivtv driver options)

Nick