[mythtv-users] RE: DVI and RGBHV connections

Neil neil-on-mythtv at restricted.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 24 00:00:39 UTC 2005

Hi Bill,

I'm wondering why I'm not getting any emails from mythtv-users mailing list.
I saw your reply at gossamer site. :)

Please see my replies below.

>> I also read a thread in mythtv mailing about interlace bug
>> not evident in
>> VGA port. So, here it is, I was already happy before when I
>> was using DVI
>> but I'm ecstatic now with my new connections, RGBHV and that it's a
>> homebrew. Please see
>> http://restricted.dyndns.org/hookingpc2hdtv.ht> ml for
>> more
>> information....
>>

>Please be aware that the info you are presenting in that page is somewhat
>wrong. The pin out is correct but there is a issue with the signal levels
>presented to your tv. The drive levels put out by the VGA connector are
>higher than the maximum level allowed by the RGBHV spec. To protect your tv
>and to improve the color and saturation of your picture you need to place a
>75 ohm resistor in series with all five signals (RGBHV). This should be done
>as close to the VGA connector as possible. This does two things. 1 - It
>presents the 75 ohm cable with a 75 ohm drive impedance and 2 - It reduces
>the peak to peak voltage to be close to the spec. This may save you from
>blowing out the input to your tv. The resistors can be very low wattage, 1/8
>watt or smaller is fine.

Ok. So correct me if I am wrong that the only piece I was missing is the 75
ohm resistor for all the five signals.
Correct?

>PS - I use RGBHV on my system with a homemade cable and its by far the best
>picture I have ever gotten driving the tv with a computer.

Did you see my screenshots too? It's awesome.

Thanks for your inputs. It helps a lot.

Ronneil