[mythtv-users] Hardware failure?

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:59:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:54:35 -0500 (EST), Patrick Davila
<pdavila at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a dedicated MythTV box with a 1 year old Hauppauge 350 card. I built
> it a couple months back running FC3 via Jarod's How-To. Everything was
> working great on it until a couple days ago after I moved it to the family
> room. It seems everything is loading up ok except the encoder portion of
> the card is not initializing and I'm not able to watch/record live tv. The
> decoder works perfectly as I can watch previously recorded shows. My
> remote is working fine as well. I cleaned out old versions of the kernel
> and the different various modules required for MythTV but nothing worked.
> Is there any way to determine if the card is dying? What's the easiest way
> to debug this? All and any help is much appreciated.

When my PVR-250 started acting funny, I threw in an old drive an
installed WInXP with the offical drivers from the Hauppauge site and
tested it. Then I installed the card in another computer, reinstalled
Windows and the drivers on the old hard drive, and tested it. In both
cases my card was not able to tune over half of the channels.

I RMA'd it and now I'm back in business.

Since you moved the whole computer, you might need to remove and
reinsert the card in the PCI slot, it may have wiggled loose.

Josh