[mythtv-users] cards with dual input?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Mar 21 19:05:27 UTC 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 10:50, Tu Holmes wrote:
> Jarod, I know you have one of the PVR-500s, is there a
> way to tell a "tuner" on the PVR to accept the input
> from the AV connections?

Uh... What? A tuner is a tuner is a tuner, only accepts coax hooked to the
coax tuner connector... I think you may mean "is there a way to tell the
encoder on the PVR-500 to accept the input from the AV connections?". And
yes, you can do that.

> I just ordered one of these (The PVR-500) and am
> waiting for it to arrive, and now am questioning my
> purchase... Here's why.
>
> I have DirecTV, and will need to take both outputs
> from the DirecTV box and put it to the 2 Tuners in the
> PVR 500.

Er, can your DirecTV box output two distinct full-screen programs on different
outputs at once?

> Now, I can either buy one of these an run the A/V
> stuff from each DirecTV box to the corresponding A/V
> portions on the PVR-500, OR I can run a channel 3 from
> one box, and a channel 4 from another box and run that
> through a splitter (at least that's my theory), and
> then tune one tuner to channel 3 and another to
> channel 4.

Okay, maybe you were after a second coax tuner input? There's only one TV
tuner input on these cards, the signal gets split to the actual dual tuners
internally. You could do one on SVideo and one on coax with the card as
shipped though, no extra piece from Hauppauge required. But again, that's
assuming your DirecTV box can actually output two distinct programs at
once...

> I would think the video quality would be better
> running through the SVIDEO.

Yes.

> Would the sound be that much better?

In theory.

> Is there anyway to get the digital audio out of a
> DirecTV receiver to go to the PVR500 and have it
> encode it to the MPEG-2 stream?

The only audio paths into these cards are either though the coax connection or
a stereo audio input, so I don't think so.

> I mean, If a movie has
> 5.1 in it, can I hear it as 5.1? If it's not encoded
> that way, then I'm sure the frontend can't play it.

I'd have to guess you're not going to get 5.1 encoded audio, so no.

> What do you guys think about that?

I think you'd better verify that a single DirecTV box can output two different
full-screen programs on different outputs at once...

> If I have to just listen to it in stereo, then I guess
> that's ok too... I'm really only worried about 5.1
> when watching a DVD or something like that.

I'm rather partial to the 5.1 sound in all the HDTV programming I record. :-)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...