[mythtv-users] Re: Energy Usage of MythBoxes

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Mon Mar 21 03:26:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 12:25 +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 March 2005 14:33, Brad Templeton wrote:
[snip]

> Why is all the talk about money? What about the environmental impacts
> of leaving the things running all the time? We all have a duty to save
> as much energy as we can to reduce global warming. Unfortunately
> America and Australia (where I live) have not signed up to Kyoto which
> is a crying shame.

This is OT, so I should resist, but it is worth noting that computers
are getting better at saving power, as well as the Linux infrastructure
to support it.  If you wait a few years, the problem will likely solve
itself there, more or less.  Of course there are various options now
for the determined, and in all likely hood wise decision making might
save the differences on the electric bill.

Yes I think it is quite dumb that my country (the US) refuses to sign up
to Kyoto, or to at least try to work out some version the US can sign.
We are after all the biggest polluters.

Overall, we are not going to save our way out of the energy mess,
although some can help a very great deal.  The only sane solution seems
to be nuclear.  It doesn't cause global warming.  It doesn't emit lots
of air pollution or even the radioactivity of a coal plant emits into
the air in the form of particles.  Yes there is a small amount of
extremely toxic material you have to store forever, but with the
new techniques that apparently convert it into some form of glass
like structure its apparently pretty stable.  Sure it would be
nice if fusion suddenly worked and all our problems were solved,
but for now, nuclear seems the best bet.  I'd certainly rather live
next to a nuclear plant, than a coal burning one.

Actually for something on topic, I wonder if it would be at all useful
for mythfrontend to keep some form of internal timer going and if it
exceeds some preset threshold, say 12 hours, without a channel change
then for the system to give a warning and then exit live tv mode.  The
idea being to save power/wear and tear in the event someone forgets
about it.  I'm not sure its a feature anyone would really care about
though.

> Regards,
> Phill

Robert Denier (denier at umr.edu)