[mythtv-users] Re: 1000th picture quality question

Dan Goldberg dan at orca1.com
Tue Mar 15 21:38:50 UTC 2005

> Alright, First question.  What version pvr 250 do you
> have?  I know mine is the new version, I believe it's
> an ivt-16?  All I know is that it ends with 16 and not
> 15 like the older cards do.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but using lspci -v I have an Internext
Compression Inc iTVC16.

> Second question, when you play with the live tv
> settings such as bitrate and recording type, do you
> notice any real difference.  I don't feel I notice any
> difference.  I know it's actually changing the
> settings though, because when I query the ivtv driver
> it matches the setting in myth.  Also changing the
> screen size does things.

For me, I notice basically no difference in picture quality when I change
the bitrate and recording type.

> Final question.  Does everyone agree that dvd playback
> looks great?

My dvd playback looks perfect.

> First comment. I have tried many different driver
> versions and firmwares.  They all have the same issue.

I had hoped that upgrading to Fedora Core 3 from Fedora Core 1 and getting
newer ivtv drivers would do something but.... it's basically the exact same
picture quality as before.

> Second comment.  I tried outputing thru mplayer and
> quality is just as bad.

I'd say the mplayer output is comparable to the mythtv output of recordings.
I wouldn't say it's bad, though, just not as crisp as regular tv.

Dan.