[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and MythTV recording quality sample

Mark L. Cukier mark at pemicro.com
Tue Mar 15 15:02:46 UTC 2005

I don't want to have two threads semi-addressing the same issue, so I
thought I should point out that I'm trying to get my Video quality
issues addressed in the "EXTREMELY choppy video (solved?) + Image
quality... (ARGH)" thread....

- Mark

Mark L. Cukier wrote:

> I'm using FC2, and I've tried the nvidia 6629 and 7167, both with no
> improvement.
>
> I'm using the lastest ivtv drivers from ATRpms.... not sure of the
> version off hand, I'm at work currently.
>
> I'm SURE I'm missing something silly here.... I just can't believe
> that the card can't capture (near) perfect Video! ANY and ALL help is
> much appreciated......
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>     Mark
>
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 09:36 -0500, Mark L. Cukier wrote:
>>

>>> I'm going to have to chime in here.
>>>
>>> For me (though in all fairness, I'm not a linux expert and I'm not
>>> done tweaking all the options), I find the video from Myth to be...
>>> well, tolerable. Straight out of the box, I had a PVR-350 which
>>> produced what I considered to be horrible TV out signal (though the
>>> capture seemed to be ok, and many people use the PVR350 with no
>>> complaints). I then upped to an nVidia with TV-OUT, and now my
>>> picture is... better. Much better. But still not anywhere near where
>>> I want it to be.
>>>
>>> I have a TiVo, and currently I'm simply not willing to give it up
>>> for myth-- for the sole reason that TiVo's image quality is better.
>>>
>>> All this deserves two notes:
>>>
>>> 1) I'm more picky that most people about image quality-- eg, I won't
>>> get pay-per-view because I'd rather watch on DVD, etc (and it
>>> doesn't stop there....)
>>>
>>> 2) I'm pretty convinced that there must be something I can do to get
>>> the image quality better. TiVo doesn't use any special
>>> hardware/software that should make its image quality any better...
>>> so perhaps I need to learn, tweak, and learn some more.
>>>

>> Which distro and video driver are you using, and which versions?

____________________________
*Mark L. Cukier*, /Design Engineer/
P&E Microcomputer Systems
710 Commonwealth Avenue