Noise... was Re: [mythtv-users] PVR-350 and MythTV recording quality sample

David myth at dgreaves.com
Tue Mar 15 12:15:35 UTC 2005

Kai Fritzowsky wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:33:07AM +0000, David wrote:
>

>>>Right. Literally. But I've got some audible noise that I can't get rid
>>>of. Is this an hardware issue or related to ivtv or mythtv? Anyone else
>>>got this problem?
>>>

>>No audio 'noise' (go and google for 'ground loop' though...)
>>

>My 'noise' clearly is not a ground loop. I know this 50Hz sound quite well.
>It's more like the noise you can hear, when the tuner is not tuned. In
>addition, I can even hear it when viewing recordings on my wireless
>notebook. My VCR and TV receive perfect sound, so there's nothing wrong with
>the signal.
>
>Clueless,
>Kai

OK, what soundcard?
Are you using ALSA?
Does alsamixer (or whatever) show anything at full volume (including
recording levels) - for now make sure nothing is above 80%.

Are the cable connections clean? Plug and unplug them a few times to try
and ensure good electrical contact.

Does a source recorded elsewhere (a known good mp3) play back cleanly?
(in which case it's a recording/sampling issue)
or not (in which case it's at least a playback, maybe both issue)

David