[mythtv-users] Is mythTV ready for prime time?

Kevin Saenz ksaenz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 21:47:03 UTC 2005

> >After fighting with database issues on Suse 9.1, I switched to
> >KnoppMyth, which supposedly auto-installs all the prereqs and sets up
> >the database.  Yet it "cannot connect to the master backend
> >database."
> >
> >I'm throwing in the towel.  Looking at the archives of this list, it
> >appears that this tool is still packed with gotchas, one complication
> >after another.  Does anyone else share the same thoughts, or am I just
> >having unusual difficulties?

I threw in the towel with Suse9.0 and 9.1 (I was testing Suse as place
of employment is a Novell house). There are a few people who have had
success with using mythtv on suse.

I was thinking of using knoppMyth the only question that I has was
does it support dvb? So far I have not found an answer to that.

I used Mandrake because I moved away from RH, and I read that it has a
little more support for most codecs. I am not entirely happy with
Mandrake but at least it works.