[mythtv-users] Several configuration questions

Robert Buchanan Robert.Buchanan at millersville.edu
Thu Mar 10 21:11:57 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am new to mythtv, though I have some experience with Linux. I tried to
install mythtv from the pre-packaged RPMS at ATrpms. However, due to the
fact that I have compiled my own kernel (version 2.6.10, with SATA
compiled in rather than as a loadable kernel module (believe me, I need
this otherwise I can't get my system to boot)) I had to compile the
source for some of the mythtv components (lirc and ivtv). I discovered
too late that I probably should have compiled everything myself, because
now I have two versions of some components which is causing some
software configuration confusion. Is there any clean way to uninstall
the ATrpms RPMs which I installed via yum, so that I can compile and
install mythtv by hand?

I've seen dozens of people mailing the mythtv-users list about a problem
with their remote controls and lirc. I have a Hauppauge PVR-350 with the
gray remote. I can get the lircd started and the kernel module loaded,
but neither the superuser nor the mythtv user can get anything other
than the connect: connection refused or connect: permission denied error
message from irw. Should I check my kernel .config file to make sure
that the kernel is properly configured for lirc? If so, where?

I have been able to test out some of the functionality of mythtv. I got
the database populated. I can use ivtvctl to capture and watch TV, but I
get a segmentation fault when I try to watch TV using the mythtv
frontend. At first I thought this might be related to the aRTs sound
problem, since I'm also getting the warning message that /dev/dsp is
busy, but I disabled aRTs and it's still happening. At this point I
would be pleased if I could just configure mythtv to pump out video and
audio out the S-Video and audio cable of the PVR-350 which I have
connected to a TV. It works during testing, but I don't know how to
configure this for production use. Any suggestions?

Lastly when ever I quit the mythtv frontend and try to end the KDE
session of the mythtv user, X seems to quit then immediately restart,
but the screen remains black. Alt-Ctrl-Backspace doesn't kill the X
server (maybe because it's not running, it's hard to tell when
everything is black on the screen). Currently I have to reboot to do
anything else. Any fixes/suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob Buchanan