[mythtv-users] Cooling Hard Drives

Mark Cooke mpc at jts.homeip.net
Thu Mar 10 12:19:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 11:58 +0000, David wrote:
> Fa Yoeu wrote:
>
> >I have 3 seagate barracuda HDs.  I am wondering what is the best way
> >to quietly cool these down.  Right now I think they are running *very*
> >hot.  The only fans in the mini atx tower are the power supply fan and
> >the cpu fan.  Wondering what is the more effective and quiet way to
> >cool down these HDs?  Thanks.
> >

> I like to use the slower 12cm fans to move air about internally.

An ugly hack is to mount the drives in 5.25" brackets, remove the front
panel blanking plates and add a 12cm fan blowing directly over the
drives.

This setup reduced drive temperatures from ~ 55C to ~ 30C compared to
the previous 'internal 3.5"-bay drive stack'.  The attached image shows
the effect of this.

Note for others considering buying cases - there are some mini-tower
cases with a 5-bay drive cage mounted internally at the bottom of the
case, with the front fan blowing directly over the drives.  In my
experience this is much better for drive temperatures than the older
style cases with the internal bays mid-way down the case.

Mark

--
Mark Cooke <mpc at jts.homeip.net>