[mythtv-users] Cooling Hard Drives

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Sun Mar 13 19:55:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:19:46PM +0000, Mark Cooke wrote:
> Note for others considering buying cases - there are some mini-tower
> cases with a 5-bay drive cage mounted internally at the bottom of the
> case, with the front fan blowing directly over the drives.  In my
> experience this is much better for drive temperatures than the older
> style cases with the internal bays mid-way down the case.

Several Antec cases (and their lookalikes from companies such as Chieftec)
feature removable cages that hold 3 3.5" drives and a 120-mm fan.  Their
Overture desktop case (what my MythTV box uses) has an even larger fan
behind the drive cage in the back of the case to drop the noise down even
lower.  Mine is fully loaded with three drives, and the one that reports its
temperature via SMART says it's currently 43 degC.  (That's not much warmer
than the 37 degC my TiVo usually reports with one drive installed.)

  _/_