[mythtv-users] Improve RTJPEG Quality?

Daniel Haas daniel at file-factory.de
Tue Mar 8 12:05:26 UTC 2005

Hello to all!
I have a Terratec Cinergy 400 TV Card and it works great with MythTV.
However I have a small annoyance. I use MythTV with a DLP Projector
(800x600) and have a diagonal of approximatly 3 meters. When watching a
recording which was recorded with RTJPEG and Quality set to 255, I see
lots of "JPEG-Artifacts" in the record. This is especially visible because
the image is projected so big. Also when having fast action scenes the
image is very blocky and looks bad. I think on a normal TV this is not
visible that much. But with a projector it looks really bad.
Is it possible to improve the quality somehow? Should I do MPEG4
recording? (Btw, which codec is used when using MPEG4? Is that
configurable?) I have an Athlon XP 2400 processor, so it should be
possible to do MPEG4 recording.
Also, how good is the quality of the hardware encoded MPEG2 streams from a
PVR 250/350 card? Would using such a card improve the quality? Has anyone
experience of using MythTV with a projector and software or hardware
encoding?

Any suggestion would be appreciated very much!

Daniel