[mythtv-users] PVR 250 displaying B&W (UK PAL)

Mark Crutch markc at qsiuk.com
Tue Mar 8 12:09:08 UTC 2005

I'm trying to set up MythTV on an old-style Pundit with a PVR 250 for
receiving UK terrestrial channels, using the Automatic Install option of
KnoppMyth (R5A12).

After manually changing the frequencies in the channel editor, I'm
getting crisp images for BBC1, BBC2, Central and Channel 4, but they're
in black & white. My Channel 5 reception is known to be poor, so I'm
getting a grainy image there, but it's in colour.

My default video format is set to PAL (I think that's correct for the
UK, or should it be one of the PAL variants?), and all the channels are
set to use the default. I've tried the finetune, but that just tends to
lose the image altogether. The other channel settings have been left at
their defaults. The frequencies I'm using have been taken from my
working MythTV 0.14 system with a PVR 350, where all the channels have
full colour.

If _all_ the channels were in B&W I'd suspect a configuration mistake on
my part, but CH5 in colour has thrown me. Has anyone else experienced a
problem like this? Any suggestions or pointers?

Mark