[mythtv-users] [Opinion] FC3 really sucks for mythtv use

M.Barnabas Luntzel mark at luntzel.com
Sun Mar 6 17:09:12 UTC 2005

On Mar 6, 2005, at 8:36 AM, Darryl Wisneski - ski wrote:

> If you don't follow the instructions meticulously there are bound to
> be "anomolies," (to put it scientifically) regardless of distro, in
> your system.  I wonder if you tried again from scratch with the same
> distro, if you would have gotten it to work?  I think there is a high
> probability of success.

right. I found that any problems that came up during the whole
installation were due to me not following the directions explicitly.
take the time to read each part through and don't skip ANYTHING, there
is a reason its in the instructions!

as far as different distributions and different hardware, that problem
isn't going to go away anytime soon. too many different hardware
configurations and cosmic rays and gremlins. You cant get FC3 to work?
I cant get FC2 to work, etc etc. Even if we all had the exact same
hardware and the exact same OS, I imagine there'd still be installation
anomalies (however probably less so...see Mac os X and Solaris). But
that aint the world we live in...

I have absolutely everything running on my FC3 myth box. web, email,
tv, web dev (tomcat / apache / mysql). I'd even run a quake server on
it if it was just a bit more beefy. Granted I have a little more
experience than the average user, but I don't feel like I needed to
rely on this in order to get the whole system running using the
wilsonet instructions. Just follow them, success can be yours.

as an aside I just sold my tivo. good riddance. and I've got about a
dozen people wanting me to help them build a myth box at some point,
after I've showed them what it can do and how great it is.

anyway keep plugging away at it, take your time and have fun!