[mythtv-users] [Opinion] FC3 really sucks for mythtv use

Darryl Wisneski - ski myth at skicentral.tv
Sun Mar 6 16:36:26 UTC 2005

> It's funny isn't it? We beat our heads against the wall trying to figure out what went
> wrong, then when we finally stumble upon the answer it turns out to be so bleeding
> obvious that we feel stupid.

True, hindsight being 20/20.

I remember back to my 5th grade math teacher saying "remember to put
your name on your paper, read the instructions and read each question."

If you don't follow the instructions meticulously there are bound to be
"anomolies," (to put it scientifically) regardless of distro, in your
system.  I wonder if you tried again from scratch with the same distro,
if you would have gotten it to work?  I think there is a high
probability of success.

I spent about 5 hours on my first FC2 install playing with the thing.
It was a test run & I had a feeling I would get it hosed.  I didn't
partitiion it right, nor did I setup up LVM.  I reinstalled, but had
more confidence.  Then, I proceeded with the production install &
followed the instructions to a "T" after reading them multiple times -
Jarod's FC2 guide & Robert Kulagowski's manual (Installing and using
MythTV).

My point is follow the manual closely & don't depart unless you really
know what you are doing, or like pain.

-ski