[mythtv-users] The nvidia-settings tool and Myth (keeping overscan right)

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Sat Mar 5 20:39:52 UTC 2005

Ben Giddings wrote:
> I know this isn't a Myth issue, it's poor design on nVidia's part, but
> how are other people dealing with nvidia-settings?  Does anybody have a
> way to re-maximize the display without leaving Myth, or at least without
> having to bring up the GUI?

Ah yes, I've run into this myself.   I'm curious if anybody has a good
solution.

The only time I run into this is if I switch to a text mode terminal
(Ctrl-Alt-F2, for example) and then switch back.  Overscan settings are
gone.     Some older nvidia drivers did not have this problem.

MythGame in SDL mode does cause the video modes to switch, and the
overscan is lost when I exit.  However, if I use mythgame in OpenGL
mode, the nvidia driver doesn't switch modes.  This means that under
normal usage, my MythTV machine always retains the proper overscan
settings.   Give OpenGL mode a shot.

If I'm monkeying with the keyboard to swtich to a text terminal, then
it's not all that hard to hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and then Ctrl-D to have
  X start back up again in the proper mode.

--
-WD