[mythtv-users] The nvidia-settings tool and Myth (keeping overscan right)

Ben Giddings bg-mythtv at infofiend.com
Sat Mar 5 20:27:38 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm running a MythTV 0.17 box on Gentoo, and I'm getting closer and
closer to nirvana.  I can now play music, view pics, view movies, record
TV, and all that good stuff.

One of the few remaining issues for me is using all of my TV's screen
real-estate.  If I use the 'nvidia-settings' tool, I can set up the
overscan so that the image completely fills my TV.  Unfortunately, it
doesn't last.  Especially if I use MythGame to launch an external
application that resizes things (StepMania and TuxRacer for example).
When I return to Myth the screen is no longer maximized.

I've found that the only way to reliably get the screen maximized again
is to quit Myth, fire up the nvidia-settings GUI, twiddle the size
slider, then quit the GUI.  Even running 'nvidia-settings
--load-config-only' doesn't do it.

This is a real pain, because I'm mostly using the remote, and although
pulling out the keyboard isn't too big a pain, finding a surface to use
the mouse on is a real annoyance.

I know this isn't a Myth issue, it's poor design on nVidia's part, but
how are other people dealing with nvidia-settings?  Does anybody have a
way to re-maximize the display without leaving Myth, or at least without
having to bring up the GUI?

Ben