[mythtv-users] Is it legal to archive and collect episodes?

Sean Cier scier at PostHorizon.com
Fri Mar 4 22:18:28 UTC 2005

Brad Templeton wrote:

> If the flag is
> set, you have protected content.   A tuner is forbidden from handing
> protected content in digital form to a device that is not "trusted"
> to further honor the protection.
>
> Some things you can do:
[...]
>     e) Put out digital audio, but at no better than CD quality

Please say this isn't true.  Is this seriously part of the FCC mandate?  Are
they seriously going to obselete nearly every receiver out there with
DD/AC-3 and DTS support?  This has got to be an installed base comparable to
-- maybe great than -- even the current sum total of HDTV owners!

-spc

--
  /-                 Sean Cier <scier at PostHorizon.com>                  -\
( Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll have another pint )