[mythtv-users] Is it legal to archive and collect episodes?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Mar 4 21:22:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:57:53PM -0600, Andrew Close wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:42:01 -0500, sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com
> <sschaefer1 at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> > Is it legal to archive and collect episodes?
> >
> > I've read alot of references that it is and that it isn't, legal.
> > I can see how we have fair use to record a show for our personal use, but doesn't collecting episodes go beyond that? Especially when the same series is retailed on DVD...
>
> i'm pretty sure there are works in progress to outlaw this shortly.
> ;)
> actually, with the broadcast flag this is a good possibility.  the
> broadcast flag can be set in a couple of different ways (please
> correct me if i'm wrong, i didn't read the spec).  it can be set to
> prevent the recording of a show, it can also be set to permit the
> recording of a show but with an expiration date.  it would also be
> possible to set to permit the recording of a show allowing it to be
> viewed only once.  <sarcasm>  and with the new smart HDTV's it can be
> set to allow recording but played only once to a specific
> audience...</sarcasm>

Such stuff is talked about for extensions of what the bits mean, but as
far as I recall the flag ruling is currently binary.   If the flag is
set, you have protected content.   A tuner is forbidden from handing
protected content in digital form to a device that is not "trusted"
to further honor the protection.

Some things you can do:

    a) Put it out analog ports
    b) Put it out a DVI port at no more than EDTV resolution.
    c) Put it back out as ATSC or QAM with the flag intact
    d) Put it out 5C blessed ports, like DTVlink (firewire) to 5C blessed
       devices
    e) Put out digital audio, but at no better than CD quality

But what you can't do :

    a) Put it out over an open digital port
    b) Leave it on disk where any old software can read it in the clear
    c) Stream it to unblessed DRM enabled software

So you _can_ build an HDTivo, ie. a locked box that records the video and
plays it out analog component video to a TV.   You can't allow the user
inside, though.

You can't build an open box, however as that would let the user at the
video stream.