[mythtv-users] parts list

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 17:08:08 UTC 2005

> I have three of the SP1614C drives (the SATA version) and find that
> they are silent when idle, but I hear some vibrational noise when they
> are writing.  I use xfs on lvm over raid-5, and for some reason the
> drives seem to seek a lot.

Raid 5? You afraid of loosing tv shows? Hehe. I'd say it's the raid
causing the extra disk seeks, probably designed to be safer than
sorry, so it writes a lot and caches less. Maybe adjustable though.
Plus, you have 3 drives all doing I/O at the same time, so that's
probably going to make them 3 times louder than a non-raid
configuration accessing one drive.

> Have people found that lining the sides of the case (on the inside)
> with felt or something like that makes a big difference?

Use Dynamat, it's designed to be a sound barrier, made out of cork,
and probably more fire retardant than felt. Plus it has a sticky side
for easy application. Though I've never done this to a computer, it
works great on cars with lots of noisy speakers in them. :)

> I hope they come out with a 200G version, as I have room for one
> more...

I wanna 400GB version. ;)

-Kenneth