[mythtv-users] parts list

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Thu Mar 3 16:28:22 UTC 2005

Maverick <mavantix at gmail.com> writes:

> I gave a
> Samsung drive a try, based on a recommendation of silentpcreview.com
> (I think). I got a the SP1614N 8MB and it's VERY quiet. In fact, it's
> so quiet that I can now here the CPU fan over the HD, no whine or
> noise normally associated with hard drives. It's hard to tell it's
> spinning.

I have three of the SP1614C drives (the SATA version) and find that
they are silent when idle, but I hear some vibrational noise when they
are writing.  I use xfs on lvm over raid-5, and for some reason the
drives seem to seek a lot.

But they are still pretty darn quiet.

Have people found that lining the sides of the case (on the inside)
with felt or something like that makes a big difference?

I hope they come out with a 200G version, as I have room for one
more...

Dan