[mythtv-users] Running MythTV with no capture card?

Matt Robinson mail at matthewrobinson.net
Sun Jun 26 23:13:54 UTC 2005

Nick Rout wrote:
> yes it is perfectly possible. install mythvideo and mythdvd.
>
> i have been doing this until i got my capture card last week, and it
> has been going fine.
>
> if u go to the "watch tv" entry in the menus it will tell you there
> is no configured cards or no backend or something.

Indeed - I did exactly the same thing until recently when I got some tuners.

In addition, I found that I had to add a fictitious card in mythtv-setup
in order for Myth to function correctly. Once I'd done this I got the
errors as mentioned by Nick, above.

I NFS mounted a share on another Linux box that held all of my
pre-recorded material and got at it that way using myth-video.