[mythtv-users] Determining State of Set Top Box

Derek Battams derek at battams.ca
Sun Jun 26 23:46:16 UTC 2005

Sometime this morning my cable company decided to reset my digital receiver -
probably for a firmware upgrade or some such thing.  After the reset the power
was off.  I had no recordings scheduled during this time and was able to turn
it back on when I got home and noticed it.  I knew this would be one of the
issues that couldn't be prevented when having MythTV receive from an external
source - or can it be detected?

While thinking about this during the day, I noticed that when the receiver was
off my screen was blank (no static - blank/black) when trying to watch TV on
that tuner.  Is there somewhere (the backend daemon?) where a test can be done
and if a blank screen is detected for, say, 20 seconds then send the remote
code for the receiver's power?  Keep doing this as long as a blank screen is
detected?  I know the commflag program detects commercial breaks via blank
frames so it would seem  that perhaps something similar can be done for
detecting the status of an external receiver?

  - Derek