[mythtv-users] Intel vs AMD for Myth - dual core....

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Fri Jun 24 14:27:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Mudit Wahal wrote:

> Dave,
>
> The HD recording is already in mpeg2. If you get a decent nvidia
> graphics card with component output (gt6200, gt6600, gt6800), then
> most of the hardware processing can be offloaded to the graphics card.

Is this correct?  I've been using 5200/5600 series cards for a couple
years using XvMC.  It works and helps some but I would hardly call
it offloaded.  Does the 6200 etc cards have more mpeg2 processing
in Linux than their predicessors?  And how is it activated?
With the XvMC lib/api or is there something new?

This is just the first time I've heard that for non-3d usage,
there is much of a difference in the last few Nvidia series cards.

Brian