[mythtv-users] OT: Help choosing an antenna for ATSC

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Tue Jun 21 13:12:20 UTC 2005

Jason Weinstein wrote:
> I'm trying to receive the 5 local ATSC stations and not having good
> luck with my current antenna. My current antenna is a medium sized
> VHF/UHF/FM directional antenna with a mast mounted pre-amp. I cannot
> get a decent signal on all the stations without rotating the antenna.
> My inital plans were to have MythTV control my rotor whenever it
> changed the channel, but it seems that MythTV cannot run channel
> change scripts when using a DVB tuner card.
> So, if possible, I'd like to replace my antenna with an
> omnidirectional UHF-only one. Of the 5 stations I am trying to
> receive, 3 have transmitters that are located 1.7 miles from me at 208
> degrees, and 2 have transmitters 8 miles from me at 17 degrees. There
> are some surrounding tall trees twoards the South of my home.
> Anyone have an antenna that they can suggest?

I use an amplified multi-directional from Rectron (sp?) and I can
consistantly pick up stations from ~35 miles away.  Sometimes I
pick up stations ~60 miles away and occasionally I pick up stations
120 miles away.  And, yes, I'm talking about ATSC transmission.

The terrain where I live is flat prairie land with a few trees.
I have a large grain elevtor between 3 transmitting positions and
my antenna and this doesnt' cause any problems.  My antenna is
mounted about 15' above ground and is actually BELOW the peak of
my roof.

Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown