[mythtv-users] Up and Down keys and seeking

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Jun 13 21:29:12 UTC 2005

Xiaotian Sun wrote:
> On 6/13/05, Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> wrote:
>> On Monday 13 June 2005 03:06 pm, Xiaotian Sun wrote:
>>> I of course understand the reasoning, but isn't it counter-intuitive?

Then, of course, you didn't understand the reasoning =).

>> Nope.

Agreed.

> I'm talking about whether it is counter-intuitive to most people.
> Maybe we should have a vote.

No.

>>> Though most remotes have seeking keys, they are usually not as big,
>>> and not as convenient to push,  as the navigation keys, which is what
>>> we're talking about here.
>> We're not talking about the navigation keys, we're talking about the channel
>> up/down keys.  'UP' has no seek action bound to it in this context, only
>> 'CHANNELUP'.

The Jump keys are "JUMPFFWD" and "JUMPRWND". When I initially added
the jump keys (back before there were keybindings), I copied mplayer,
I think, and had PgUp forward and PgDn reverse. The other half of the
world complained and it was changed to the text logic. The grass is
always greener... I'm content with the current default and anyone who
wants to change their bindings is welcome to do so.

> I don't know about your system.  On mine, CHANNELUP is bound to UP.
> And I don't know how the seeking functions are bounded, because it's
> not in the setting.  But if it is bounded to CHANNELUP and
> CHANNELDOWN, then I guess we users can do nothing.

It isn't.

--  bjm