[mythtv-users] HDTV cards w/o antenna

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 15:49:41 UTC 2005

On 6/12/05, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:11:56AM -0400, David Fitzgerald wrote:
> > The HD-3000 specs or FAQs claim that you need to have an antenna and
> > that it is incompatible with a cable company's HDTV feed (I use RCN,
> > or Comcast is also available to me).  Depending upon how you read
> > it, it may be talking about the older HD-2000 or maybe both the
> > HD-2000 and the HD-3000.  I'm not sure if it is a typo or a
> > "feature".
> >
> > The other option, the Air2PC card, claims to optimally "receive 8VSB
> > (ATSC) digital broadcast signals", and appears to have only an RF
> > interface.  Is this two different ways of saying that you simply
> > cannot capture any HTDV signal on either of these two cards w/o
> > having an antenna?
> >
> > If so, I'm extremely underwhelmed.  The last thing I want to do is
> > deal with an antenna on a MythTV box.  I'm hoping I'm mistaken.
>
> FWIW, I am using two HD-3000 cards with great success using a $20
> Radio Shack indoor UHF antenna as input (split to both cards).
>
> Of course, YMMV depending on your location relative to broadcast
> towers, etc.
>
> --Rob
>

> BodyID:84214936.2.n.logpart (stored separately)

You're mistaken.  The HD3000 with the V4L driver can tune regular
cable and, with the DVB drivers, can tune QAM (digital cable) where
you'll find some number of HD channels.  I myself, and many others,
are doing this right now.  I get roughly 8 HD channels.  What's more,
my rig had multiple tuner cards so I can record several simultaneous
shows (which tivo cannot).  And, finally, commercial skip, though
seemingly trivial, is very very nice (and not available on tivo).