[mythtv-users] Mythstream Tips Tricks

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 13:29:21 UTC 2005

> Unfortunately, though, the URL you chose isn't broadcasting.  This
> happens sometimes--it seems some 'net radio stations don't like users
> accessing their streams without using Microsoft Windows/Internet
> Explorer/Windows Media Player (so they can force the user to download
> ads), so they seem to switch up URL's/ports and it takes a while for
> whomever posts the info to SHOUTcast to figure it out...
> Note, also, if you chose a low-bitrate stream, since MPlayer has a large
> cache (8MB by default), it may take a while for the stream to start
> playing (up to a minute).  If this is the case, MythStream won't tell
> you that there's no stream--it will just sit there for a while saying
> "buffering".
> So, best bet is to try again and choose a different station/different
> URL for the same station.  BTW, to verify that the station isn't
> broadcasting, you can use MPlayer and/or xmms (with xmms, I think you
> have to use the GUI to select Play Location):
> mplayer

I'll try these things. In the meantime I tried the mplayer command and
got an error:

$ mplayer
mplayer: symbol lookup error:
undefined symbol: _nv0019XvMCdynamic

Could this be why I can't get any streams to work? Everything else
seems to be working just fine and this is the 1st time I've seen any
mplayer errors.