[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Audio sync problems

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Fri Jun 10 15:48:43 UTC 2005

john sturgeon wrote:

> I'm curious how you have been able to determine that the *source* a/v
> is out of sync?  It seems to me that Time Sync codes and what-not
> should be pretty reliable at the source, and that playback can
> sometimes fall in/out of sync depending on the method of playback.
> Seems a bit odd, and certainly nothing like what I've experienced for
> any of my HD or SD OTA broadcast streams.

Mostly because the audio clearly does not line up with the video.
E.G.  What is heard is clearly out of sync with the lips of the
person saying it.  It also real noticable during local broadcasts
of basketball games.  E.G.  You hear the ball "swish" through the
basket BEFORE you see it go through the basket.  Also, if I split screen
my TV with digital on one side and analog on the other, the analog side
does not exhibit the problem.  When I do this split screen thing, the
digital content lags the analog content by about 1 second.  I kind of
expect that though because the broadcaster does have to digitize the
stuff before transmission.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown