[mythtv-users] After FE_HAS_LOCK, what next?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 09:45:17 UTC 2005

> After installing an HD-3000 card,
> all of the dvb-apps package, and
> the firmware, the azap program
> showed that the card is working
> with several channels having strong
> signals.  FE_HAS_LOCK shows up
> along with high signal values, error rates
> of all zeros.
> What are the next steps to getting
> mythtv to tune and record ?

This is what I did. FYI, I'm in Australia so our DVB is PAL.

1) Shut down the mythbackend service.
2) Run mythtvsetup and say Yes to overwriting channels and card
settings. I already had 2 analogue cards in there so this was a bit of
a bummer but I saved the settings for future reference in case I
needed to go back.
3) Then create a new Capture Card as type DVB - easy. It should
display your card name. If mythbackend is not stopped it could tie up
the card and you won't see the card name.
4) Create the Video Source - easy. In my case I just called this aerial.
5) Connect the capture card to the video source in the Input screen. I
just took the defaults - easy. Make sure you have enter a correct
starting channel in the Input  screen otherwise when you go into
LiveTV it will hang for 15 seconds and then bomb back out to the menu
as it can't connect to the broadcast.
6) Go into the channel editor and do an Automatic scan. Choose Full
Scan type. You need to do this for each channel (ABC,SBS,7,9,10 in my
case) and for each one you have to enter the Frequency (eg 226500000
for ABC) AND the Bandwidth (which in my case was 7MHz for all of
7) At the end of all this you may end up with a stack of channels - some
of them are EPG channels, some are HD channels and some are lots of
what seems to be the same SD channel (don't know why that is -
something the broadcasters do for some reason).
8) Exit out and start mythbackend and mythfrontend and try to watch
LiveTV. This is how I was testing it. I figured that because scan and
tzap had worked then the card is set up correctly from a Linux
perspective so it was just a matter of getting it to work under MythTV
from there. Look in the mythbackend log and it should say something

  2005-05-10 20:47:32.366 DVB#0 Multiplex Locked
  2005-05-10 20:47:33.561 DVB#0 Successfully tuned to channel 20.


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list