[mythtv-users] Various Myth Setup Issues

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 9 08:06:14 UTC 2005

Jason Luttrell wrote:

>I've finally got Myth up and running now, but I have some questions on
>a few things that I need to tweak to make me happy with all of this.
>FYI, I'm running a P4 2.4 GHz with 512 RAM and 2 PVR-150s on FC3.
>First, I have a blue line around the left and top parts of the picture.
>Secondly, no matter what settings I set in Myth setup, I can't seem to
>get the picture to fill the entire screen up.  My TV is a 6 month old
>Sanyo 27" flat screen.
Fix 2, and it will fix 1.  Or, if you want to cover things up (i.e. fix
the symptom--blue background showing through--instead of the
problem--video output not properly sized for your screen), change the
xv_colorkey (background color) to something blacker:

xvattr -a XV_COLORKEY -v 10

You could use 0 instead of 10, but 0 (black) is more likely to match
where it shouldn't than "almost black."  You might need to install
xvattr ( http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/downloads.shtml ).

You really should just fix the output, though.  It requires changes to
your X-Windows modeline and/or to your video card's overscan
settings--not changes to Myth setup.

>Third, the quality of the picture is not really great.  I've
>especially noticed on action sequences, such as sports on ESPN, that
>the picture slows a bit at times and pales in comparison to the
>picture I normally get with the TV.
Poor match of resolution/bitrate.  See

>The system also seems very slow to me to change channels, with a delay
>of about 5 seconds or so.
That's the way it works.  Solution: don't change channels.  (Let Myth
record those things you might want to watch, and you'll never need
LiveTV again.)

>Also, when I record a program and play it back, it shows only the top
>left-hand quarter of the screen or so.  I've tried setting the NTSC
>settings for both tuners and still have this problem.  I do NOT have
>this problem watching live TV though.  I also get no audio on
>recordings, but again, I don't have this problem with live TV.
Use 720x480 resolution.  If you really feel you need some lower
resolution, try different versions of IvyTV.  Scaling is completely
broken in many of them, but works in some (although I don't know for
sure if they've gotten it working for PVR-150's--so your best bet is