[mythtv-users] Finally got good looking TV output from Nvidia FX5200

jani jani.talikka at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:37:56 UTC 2005

After months of putting up with fuzzy looking lines or blocky looking
diagonals I have managed to make the output of my FX5200 look as nice
as the output from my dvd player.

I am in Australia, so receive PAL SDTV using a DVB-T card at a
resolution of 720x576 and at 50Hz. This works with the nvidia 1.0-7174
driver.

Up until now I had followed the directions in the nvidia readme, and
configured the xorg.conf to output the default 800x600 picture but
with output selected to SVIDEO.  (the 1024x768 resolution also worked
but looked fuzzier to me).

Attached is my current xorg.conf.

The important changes are:
 modeline for 720x576 at 50 Hz (if you need an ntsc modeline generate
it with gtf)

This means that the tv-output stage of the card doesn't do any scaling
and so so it looks like the interlaced frames actually make it to the
screen with minimal quality loss.